Video Mystery Shopping Tip: 25 Tips to be successful in business (and life!)
Last week Melinda Brody & Company celebrated a milestone – 25 years in the mystery shopping business! I celebrated by taking my fabulous staff out to dinner. While we were enjoying a glass of wine and a fabulous Italian dinner at Antonio’s, someone at the table asked me to share my *secret* of success. She wanted to know the one thing that I had done in business that had made the biggest impact on the success of Melinda Brody & Company. Well, as I thought about it, I realized there wasn’t just one secret tip that allowed me to start and grow a successful company (although it would be nice if there was!). There are actually numerous tips and pieces of advice that I have collected over the years that have helped me! So, in honor of my 25th anniversary, I have decided to share with you 25 tips that have helped me over the years, and will help you as well. Whether you are a new home sales associate, a small business owner, or a corporate executive I believe these tips can apply to anyone!
1. Be passionate about what you do. If you don’t have the passion and drive, don’t to it – you will not be successful.
2. Get your personal finances in order so you can handle the peaks and valleys of business and life.
3. Be patient and persistent, your success may not happen overnight….but it will happen!
4. BELIEVE in yourself and your dream. You are destined for greatness!
5. Get rid of the toxic people in your life. Don’t listen to naysayers.
6. Align yourself with people who will support, coach and cheer you on (I am in 3 Mastermind Groups that I credit with really helping me stay positive and focused on growing my business)
7. Separate your work from who you are. I speak and shop salespeople as a business. But, it doesn’t define who I am as a person. If my business slows down or I fail to meet a business goal, that does not mean that I am a failure as a person.
8. Set boundaries. I literally close the door at 6PM in my home office and don’t let work “ooze” into other parts of my home.
9. Create a balance between work and life. I pledged with a friend to not work weekends for one year. I enjoy working, but I also enjoy my weekends spending time with family and friends.
10. Set a goal to make a certain number of sales calls every week no matter how busy you are! Believe me, it will pay off.
11. When business is slow, keep yourself busy by doing SOMETHING to advance the cause. Network, get out there, volunteer your time, and don’t become idle.
12. Schedule a ‘me’ day once a month – a mental health day! It’s not selfish – its practicing self-care
13. ‘Give’ more than you ‘get’ – do it often! And, when you give – don’t expect anything in return. No one owes you anything.
14. Learn to delegate – You can’t (and shouldn’t) do it all.
15. Realize that there is no such thing as a perfect work/home life balance. It is all about what works for you! June Cleaver no longer exists, get over it. It’s OK if you can’t remember the last time you ran a vacuum.
16. Remember you are in it for the long haul; don’t get frustrated by little set-backs.
17. Build your pipeline – remember the seeds you plant today will eventually bear fruit.
18. Plan your day – don’t allow it to plan you. Have a clear plan of what you want to accomplish each and every day.
19. Have a mentor – someone who has achieved the type of success you are working towards. Learn from them. There is no need to re-invent the wheel if it isn’t necessary.
20. Sharpen your saw – Attend conferences, workshops, and read business/industry publications.
21. Put a $ value on your time. This will help ensure that you are focusing your time on things that are going to bring you the biggest R.O.I.
22. If you are tired, or feeling a bit burned out – Rest! It’s OK to slow down and re-charge your batteries.
23. Ask for referrals and testimonials from past clients! Don’t be shy about doing it; word of mouth is a great way to grow your business.
24. Keep a book of gratitude or a journal – write down your thoughts and feelings and be thankful for all you have been given in life.
25. Visualize your success. Vision Boards really do WORK. Everything I have on vision board has come true!