Video Mystery Shopping: Use YOUR IBS at IBS: Make the MOST of your experience!
Are you attending the International Builder’s Show this week in Orlando? I know I am! This is the premier convention/trade show for our industry! So, if you are attending, be sure to make the most of your experience! Remember, people don’t plan to fail, they fail to plan! So make it a priority to spend some time planning your IBS experience so you get the most out of it!
As an IBS veteran for more than 15 years, I’ve finally mastered how to make the most of this convention experience. Let’s face it, it is a BIG convention with A LOT of things going on, you’ve got to know what you’re doing before you get there!
I’ve put together some tips that will help you make the most of the IBS experience! I call it your Independent Business Strategy (IBS) for the International Builders Show (IBS), so let’s get our IBS moving at IBS!
- Have a plan and schedule your time wisely – Make sure you have an idea of what you want to do at the show, read the literature and determine which educational programs you want to attend. IBS has made that very easy with their online planner! If you are going with a group of colleagues or friends, use the ‘divide and conquer’ strategy when it comes to seminars and break-out sessions. GOAL: Spend at least one hour planning your show schedule, including workshops and seminars you want to attend as well as specific vendors you want to see at the trade how.
- Don’t sit with your friends! Yes, we ALL feel more comfortable hanging out with our friends and colleagues when we attend events where we don’t know a lot of people; however, I would strongly encourage you to ‘break away’ from the pack and forge out on your own. IBS is a great place to network with and meet some very interesting people from the home building industry. GOAL: Make it a point to meet 3 new people each day you are at the show.
- Don’t get overwhelmed: Chances are you will be attending many different seminars and breakout sessions. A lot of information is going to be given to you, but don’t overwhelm yourself by thinking you have to implement everything you learn in 24 hours. Instead, look for the ‘gems’ that you will discover in each session. GOAL: Come up with 2 or 3 items from the show that you can begin implementing immediately. For all the other great ideas you get, keep them in a journal our notebook and refer to that on a monthly basis to get ideas for other strategies you can put into place.
- Come prepared to network: There are not many opportunities where you are going to be in the same place with 50,000 other new home building profession. Bring plenty of business cards and don’t be shy. GOAL: Step outside of your comfort zone. Introduce yourself to people you don’t know. Prepare a brief 30 second introduction for yourself and practice before you go.
- Attend the Super Sales Rally on Thursday, February 9th – Experience the most powerful sales seminar of your career! This is the biggest, best and boldest sales education event of the year, designed to provide proven techniques and strategies that lead to immediate results. This year’s sales rally is going to knock your socks off! If you are ready to ‘Get back in the BLACK’ in 2012, you don’t want to miss this! And, if you attend, make sure to say hello to me! I am one of the presenting speakers.
- Savor the experience and wear comfortable shoes! I know this one from experience. At one of my first IBS Conventions I wore the cutest pair of sling-back high heels. I was looking ever so sassy, however by the end of the day I could barely walk across the parking lot to my car! Take your mother’s advice and wear sensible shoes (you can always put your high heels in your handbag and change in to them later! Enjoy the experience!
See you all in a few days!